Pain: endure or drown out?
But this is on the one hand. On the other hand, it is necessary not only to remove it, but first of all to establish the exact cause. Expert Advice Olga VOROBYOVA
, professor of the Department of Nervous Diseases, Moscow State Medical University Sechenov will help you cope with the pain.
You should not endure severe pain - it is not only painful, but also dangerous - there is a risk of pain shock!
Types of pain
Pain is classified according to various principles:
- by duration: acute, chronic;
- by localization: headache, pain in the back, lower back, joints, cardialgia, that is, pain in the heart;
- by etiology (reason): inflammatory, traumatic, ischemic, etc.
How to determine the pain threshold
It depends on many factors (gender, genetic predisposition, emotional state, etc.). An individual pain threshold can be determined using neurophysiological methods. For example, electrical stimulation of nerves of the upper or lower limb.
Even if the pain is psychogenic in nature, for a person who experiences it, it is real, because pain is always a subjective feeling. “Imaginary” pain can bother a person in the absence of disease and real damage to tissues or organs. And a sensation of pain arises as a result of a distorted "assessment" by the brain of normal signals from organs and tissues of the body, and a systemic failure in their transmission. Psychotherapeutic methods and even psychotropic therapy are used to treat such pain.
Methods of anesthesia
Of course, there is no ideal pain medication. In each case, it is necessary to assess the benefits and risks associated with taking the medicine. And the manifestations of the toxic (side) effect of the drug to a large extent depends on the individual characteristics of the person (age, the presence of chronic diseases, reaction to pain medications, etc.) and interactions with other drugs.
In case of acute pain, drug therapy is prescribed:
1. For chronic pain, complex anesthesia is used, including both medications and alternative methods, such as, for example, fitness, yoga, therapeutic massage, acupuncture, as well as some methods of psychotherapy to overcome the stress caused by pain.
2. Non-drug (physiogenic) methods of anesthesia are considered the safest, provided that they are correctly and professionally prescribed and used.
3. For the treatment of muscle spasm, applications with a gel or cream containing a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory or “irritating” drug substance (bee venom) can be used, in more severe cases, botulinum toxin injections. And with a painful muscle spasm in the lumbar region or shoulder, a warming patch can have a good effect, which does not injure or irritate the skin. Apply external painkillers with light massage movements.
With pain in the joints and internal organs, warming-up procedures are permissible only after the recommendation of the attending physician.
PHOTO: GEORGE DOYLE / GETTY IMAGES